What Are Novelon Tablets?
Novelon tablets are a safe and effective way to prevent pregnancy. It is a convenient method of contraception that has a very low risk of side effects. It is a brand of oral contraceptive pill that is used to prevent pregnancy.
It is a combination pill that contains the hormones estrogen and progestin. These hormones work together to prevent ovulation (the release of an egg from the ovary) and also change the lining of the uterus, making it less likely for a fertilized egg to implant and grow.
How Does Novelon Birth Control Pill Work?
It contains a combination of two hormones, progesterone, and estrogen. These hormones work together to regulate the menstrual cycle and prepare the body for pregnancy.
The ovaries create the hormone progesterone. It helps to thicken the lining of the uterus, which is where a fertilized egg will implant.
Estrogen is a hormone that is produced by the ovaries and the adrenal glands. It helps to develop and maintain the lining of the uterus.
These tablets are prescription birth control pills used to prevent pregnancy.
The active ingredient in this tablet is norethindrone, a synthetic progestin. Norethindrone works by preventing ovulation (the release of an egg from the ovary) and by thickening the mucus in the cervix, which makes it difficult for sperm to penetrate the cervix and reach an egg.
What are the uses of Novelon tablets?
Novelon tablet uses, it is a contraceptive pill that is used to prevent pregnancy. It is a combined pill that contains two hormones, progestogen, and estrogen. These work together to prevent ovulation (release of the egg from the ovary).
It can also use for the treatment of painful and irregular menstrual cycles, or dysmenorrhea.
How to Take Novelon Birth Control Pill?
Novelon birth control pill is taken once daily, at the same time each day, for 21 days. After 21 days, you will have a 7-day break from taking the pill. During this break, you will usually experience a withdrawal bleed (similar to your period). You will then start taking the pill again for another 21 days.
The recommended dose is one tablet daily, taken at the same time each day. You should begin taking the pill on the first day of your period or on the first Sunday after your period starts. If you start the pill on any other day of your cycle, you will need to use a backup method of contraception (such as condoms) for the first 7 days.
It is important to take exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If you forget to take a dosage, do so as soon as you recall unless your next dose is practically due. In this case, skip the missed dose and take your next dose at the regular time. Do not take two doses of the pill at the same time.
If you vomit or have diarrhea within 3-4 hours of taking a dose of Novelon, this can affect how well the pill works. You need to take another medication right away. If you are unable to do this, you should use a backup method of contraception for the next 7 days.
Major Advice Before Consuming the Drug
It is a brand of contraceptive pills that is available in the market. These pills are extremely effective in preventing pregnancy.
However, there are certain things that you need to keep in mind before you start taking these pills. Here is some major advice that you should follow before taking tablets.
1) Make sure that you are not pregnant before you start taking these pills. These pills are not meant for pregnant women and can cause serious harm to the fetus.
2) If you are breastfeeding, then also you should not take these pills. These pills can pass into the milk and can harm the baby.
3) These pills can interact with certain other medications. So, if you are taking any other medication, then please make sure to inform your doctor about it.
4) These pills can cause certain side effects like nausea, vomiting, headache, dizziness, etc. If you experience any of these side effects, then please contact your doctor immediately.
5) You should take these pills at the same time every day. Missing even a single dose can reduce the effectiveness of these pills.
6) You should not smoke while you are taking these pills. Smoking can increase the risk of certain side effects.
7) These pills can make you more susceptible to sunburn. So, please make sure to use sunscreen while you are out in the sun.
8) These pills can also because weight gain in some women. So, if you are worried about gaining weight, then please talk to your doctor about it.
9) You should not take these pills if you have a history of blood clotting disorders. These pills can further increase the risk of clotting.
10) These pills are not meant for women who are above the age of 35 years.
If you follow all this advice, then you can be sure that you will not have any problems while taking these pills. However, if you still have any doubts or queries, then please make sure to talk to your doctor about it.
And If you have any of the problems listed below, let your doctor know before taking these pills.
- Allergies to any tablet constituent, including Ethinyl estradiol or desogestrel.
- You now or previously had thrombotic conditions (blood clots in the circulatory system).
- Have sickle cell disease.
- Have any liver or pancreas-related conditions
- Possess any current or past history of breast cancer or cancer of the reproductive system.
- Having cardiovascular health issues now or in the past.
- Possess a strong migraine.
- Had any untreated vaginal bleeding instances.
- Afflicted with varicose veins.
- Having epilepsy.
- Having hypertriglyceridemia
Note: If you become pregnant while taking these drugs, stop taking them right once and see your doctor for advice.
If you face any of the following, get help right away.
- Medicine hypersensitivity response
- Breathing problems
- eyesight or hearing changes
- Limb swelling that may or may not be painful
- A terrible headache
- chest pain
- eyes or skin becoming yellow
- Formation of blood clots
- Discharge from the breasts or vagina
- Infection of the vagina
- Increased depression
The Novelon Tablet’s Side Effects:
However, like all medicines, this can cause side effects, although not everyone will experience them. The most common novelon tablet side effects include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Breast tenderness
- Mood swings
- Weight gain
- Reduced sex drive
If you experience any of these side effects, they should usually disappear after a few days as your body adjusts to the medicine. However, if they persist or become severe, please contact your doctor or pharmacist for advice on taking novelon birth control pill.
Less common side effects include:
- Fluid retention
- Hair loss
- Vaginal thrush
- Changes in menstrual bleeding
If you experience any novelon tablet side effects or any other unexpected side effects, please contact your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Remember, you can report any suspected side effects to the MHRA via their Yellow Card Scheme.
Drug Reactions with Other Substances
Your doctor has to closely monitor all of your prescriptions to help you prevent interactions. Tell your doctor about all prescription drugs, over-the-counter remedies, and vitamins you are using. Speak with your doctor or pharmacist to learn how this medication may interact with other medications you are taking.
Examples of drugs that can cause interactions are listed below.
- Serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)
- Tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs)
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs)
- Tranexamic Acid
- Some antibiotics
- Some antifungals
- Some HIV protease inhibitors
- Some hepatitis C protease inhibitors
- Guar Gum
- Some non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NNRTIs)
- St. John’s Wort
- Some antipsychotics
Interactions with Caffeine, Alcohol, and Grape Fruit Juice
It can interact with other medications, including caffeine, alcohol, and grapefruit juice.
These interactions can make the medication less effective or cause side effects. Caffeine:
- Caffeine can increase the amount of progestin in the blood.
- Alcohol: Alcohol can increase the amount of progestin in the blood.
- Grapefruit juice: Grapefruit juice can increase the amount of progestin in the blood.
If you are using these tablets, it is important to store them properly in order to maintain their effectiveness.
Here are some storage instructions to follow:
- Store at room temperature, between 68°F and 77°F (20°C and 25°C).
- Store in a dry place.
- Do not store it in a bathroom.
- Keep out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- Do not use it if the expiration date on the package has passed.
- Do not use if the tablets are discolored or show any other signs of deterioration.
Keep this medication out of the reach of children and firmly closed in the original container. Keep it at normal temperature, away from sources of extreme heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). Any medication that is expired or not needed anymore should be thrown away.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
What Use Does the Novelon Tablet Serve?
Novelon tablets are hormonal birth control pills that include progesterone and estrogen to prevent conception by preventing ovulation, preventing sperm motility, and creating an unfavorable uterine environment for the developing embryo. Additionally, these pills are used to treat dysmenorrhea.
What Is the Ideal Novelon Dosage, and How Do You Take It?
Any day can begin the Novelon pill course of therapy, but it must be continued by adhering to the markings on the strip for the days of the week. Even when taken on an empty stomach, these pills are well tolerated.
Make sure to take the pills at around the same time each day for the best effects. The treatment regimen of taking 21 tablets daily for 21 days, followed by a week without taking any medicine. You should resume with a new pack after the seven-day break.
What should I do if I vomit after taking the tablet?
The dosage is deemed missed if you take the medication and then throw up within three to four hours. Once you feel better, you would need to take another pill to maintain contraceptive protection.
Is Novelon Safe for Use by Breastfeeding Women?
Novelon pills are not recommended for nursing mothers. The bad effects of this medicine might be transferred to the infant through breast milk.
When Taking a Novelon Pill, Is It Acceptable to Miss Periods?
Although a missing period is a well-known side effect, you should still check with your doctor to be sure you are not pregnant. The likelihood of becoming pregnant rises if the tablets are not routinely taken at a certain time.
Is Vaginal Bleeding Common When Using This Medication?
As your body adjusts to the medicine, breakthrough bleeding is typical for the first two to three months. Consult your doctor for advice if you are concerned about the volume of bleeding.
Do Novelon Medications Interact Negatively with Any Other Illnesses?
Yes, those with diseases of the liver, pancreas, cardiovascular system, thrombosis, epilepsy, sickle cell anemia, and cancer of the reproductive organs should use this drug with caution.
Is It Safe to Smoke When Taking Novelon Tablets on a Daily Basis?
No. Because smoking increases your chance of developing thrombosis, or a blood clot in arteries or veins of your limbs or pulmonary organs, it is suggested to give up smoking while taking these medications.