Table of Content
How MTP-Kit Works
MTP-Kit is one of the most popular methods of contraception available today. The kit contains two drugs, mifepristone and misoprostol, which are used to terminate pregnancies.
The progesterone in this works by inhibiting ovulation. When you take this, the progesterone prevents your body from releasing an egg. Without progesterone, the lining of the uterus breaks down and the pregnancy is expelled. This means that there is no egg available for fertilization.
MTP-Kit also thickens the cervical mucus. As a result, sperm have a tough time reaching the egg. Even if there is an egg present, it is less likely to be fertilized if the cervical mucus is thick. It has a greater than 98% success rate in preventing pregnancy. This means that less than 1% of women who use these pills will become pregnant. It is a very effective birth control method.
If you’re looking for a birth control method that is more than 99% effective, it can be a good option for you.
Uses of MTP-Kit
MTP Kit is an abortion pill. Use of MTP Kit for medical abortion is a non-surgical and medical way to terminate an early pregnancy of up to 9 weeks (63 days).
It is a combination of two FDA (Food and Drug Administration) approved pills, Mifepristone, and Misoprostol that are taken in sequence to end a pregnancy.
Dosage of MTP-Kit
The kit contains two different types of pills- mifepristone and misoprostol. These pills are to be taken in a specific order and time gap for the abortion to be successful.
The first pill that is to be taken from the kit is mifepristone. This pill is to be taken orally with water. Once this pill is consumed, it works by blocking the hormone progesterone. Progesterone is responsible for sustaining pregnancy. Without this hormone, the uterine lining begins to break down and the pregnancy cannot continue.
After taking mifepristone, you need to wait for 24 to 48 hours. During this time, you must be sure that you are not pregnant anymore. You can confirm the same by getting a pregnancy test done.
After the required time period has passed, you need to take the second pill from the kit, misoprostol. This pill is to be taken either orally or vaginally, as per your convenience. This pill works by causing contractions in the uterus and expels the pregnancy tissue.
You can buy MTP online and It is generally advised to take both the pills under the supervision of a healthcare provider. This is because taking both the pills on your own can be a bit complicated and also, in case of any complications, the healthcare provider will be able to address them immediately.
The dosage of these tablets that is to be taken may vary from person to person. The healthcare provider will be able to guide you regarding the same based on your specific case. Generally, it is seen that these pills are quite effective in getting an abortion done.
However, in some cases, the abortion may not be successful. In such cases, additional doses of misoprostol may be required.
Important Advisory while Considering MTP-Kit
Tell your doctor these things prior to using MTP Kit:
- if you have a medicine or Mifepristone allergy.
- if a bleeding condition affects you.
- if you suffer from liver or renal problems.
- If you have diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.
- if your blood pressure is out of control.
- If you’ve already experienced a heart attack, stroke, etc.
- if your anaemia is severe.
- if you have a skin condition that is hereditary.
Side Effects of MTP-Kit
The following are typical side effects:
- cold sweats or hot flushes
- Pelvic pain
- extreme menstrual bleeding
Contact your doctor right away if you soak two or more sanitary pads in less than two hours or if you continue to have any negative effects.
Drug Interactions with MTP-Kit
It is known that several medications interact with these tablet and change how it functions. Inform your doctor if you use any herbal, over-the-counter, recreational, or other medications.
- Antibiotics such as erythromycin
- Antifungals such as ketoconazole
- Corticosteroids such as dexamethasone
- Inhibitors of the HIV protease, such as indinavir, and ritonavir
Alcohol Interaction with MTP-Kit
Drinking alcohol might make adverse effects more likely. Using this medication with alcohol is not advised.
Storage Instructions for MTP-Kit
MTP Kit’s original packaging should be used for secure storage.
- Keep the medication out of the sun, dampness, and extreme heat.
- Keep the medication out of children’s reach.
- The leftover tablets should be kept in an airtight container after the pack has been opened.
- After the medication’s expiration date, do not take it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is MTP Kit for abortion?
An MTP kit is a medical kit used for abortion. It is a safe and effective way to end a pregnancy. The kit contains two pills: mifepristone and misoprostol The combination of these two pills can be used up to 9 weeks of pregnancy for abortion.
Is it safe to use MTP Kit?
MTP Kit is a highly effective and safe way to terminate an early pregnancy. It is a FDA-approved medication that has been used by millions of women around the world with great success.
How effective is the MTP Kit?
The MTP Kit is typically 96-98% effective when used as directed. This means that for every 100 women who use the MTP Kit, 96-98 of them will have a successful abortion. It is most effective when used within the first eight weeks of pregnancy.
How to take the doses of MTP Kit?
To take MTP Kit, you will need to take 2 pills of mifepristone 200 mg each, followed by 4 pills of misoprostol 200 mcg each, vaginally or buccally (between the cheek and gum). The mifepristone will help to soften and open the cervix, and the misoprostol will help to expel the pregnancy tissue.
What are the side effects of MTP-Kit?
The most common side effects are nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. Typically, these side effects are minor and go away on their own. However, more serious side effects can occur. These include heavy bleeding, severe cramping, and infection. In the event that you encounter any of these adverse effects, please contact emergency services right once.
When should you avoid using MTP-Kit?
The abortion pill is a safe method of ending a pregnancy in the first 12 weeks, but it isn’t always the best choice. As a result, if you have any of the following, you should avoid taking MTP Kit:
- An ectopic pregnancy is one that has been placed outside the uterus and has to be treated by a doctor.
- Liver or chronic adrenal dysfunction
- HIV-positive — If you are HIV-positive, having an abortion may increase your chance of contracting the virus. As a result, you should consult your doctor and take antibiotics at the same time as the abortion pill.
- A sexually transmitted infection, or STI, such as gonorrhoea, should be treated by a physician.
- Before using the abortion pill, you should have an intrauterine device (IUD) removed.
- Possess the genetic illness porphyria, which impairs the blood’s capacity to deliver oxygen to tissues and organs.
How to confirm abortion?
There are many ways to confirm an abortion has occurred. The most common way is to have an ultrasound to check for the presence of a fetus. Other ways include a blood test to check for the presence of human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) or a pelvic exam.
If you have any questions or concerns about confirming an abortion, you should speak to your doctor. They will be able to give you the information and support you need.
What are the crucial safety precautions you need to take after having an abortion?
It’s normal to question if things will turn out well. There is nothing to be concerned about, however there are a few things to watch out for following your abortion.
Signs of probable difficulties include:
- A fever that is over 101 °F and lasts longer than 24 hours.
- Two or more pads are being soaked every hour over a period of two hours due to heavy bleeding that won’t stop.
- Vomiting, diarrhoea, or nausea that lasts longer than 24 hours.
- Foul-smelling vaginal discharge.
- Severe discomfort or cramping that is resistant to treatment.
- Pregnancy symptoms that persist after 2-4 weeks.
Immediately contact your physician if you experience any of these. These symptoms could point to the need for extra care.
Is there a distinction between the pill and medical abortion?
There are several names used to market the abortion pill mtp kit. The abortion pill, on the other hand, is the same thing as medical abortion, medicine abortion, and medicated abortion.